Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.--Bertrand Russell

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Downsizing Begins

We have started down the path.  We made an offer on the church bus in Pueblo.  They had another couple scheduled to look at it as well.  We made a fair offer and hope to hear back later this week.  We talked to the pastor for quite sometime while going over this bus.  If we don't get this one, we will find another one.  There is a glut of buses on the market.  It is mostly a matter of just finding the right deal.

We have started liquidating our possessions via craigslist and such.  It is amazing how much we have acquired in just ten years.  This is a difficult process.  We had a hard time at first.  We found that our attachment to things was strong, even though it may be stuff we don't even use.  Many things are obvious that it is junk that just needs to go.  Other things are tougher as we decide what we will want and need with us and what we will put in storage.  Dealing with some of the folks on Craigslist is also a big happy joy.  We will likely have an indoor yard sale in the very near future.

While we have been sorting and taking pics for this process, we have started talking about how we will trick out our bus.  We will have to start with a generator, but are researching possibly building a wind turbine as well as solar panels.  We are trading a table saw for a solar shower and a two burner camp stove.  We are considering building a portable solar oven.  We have a single burner camp stove and a turkey fryer burner to do most of our cooking. We are looking for a composting toilet to buy or trade for.  We will take our queen size memory foam mattress and will build a frame into our overall design.  We are also considering a space for growing herbs and fresh vegetables by using a vertical growing and drip system system and a couple of grow lights.

We are still struggling with the decision to live in a bus.  Sy and I are both intellectually fine with it.  We are both smart strong adults who can list all of the reasons why we should do this as well as the few for why we shouldn't.  Emotionally this has been a trying experience, but we are both growing from the experience.  We are supporting each other like we haven't in a long time.  Overall, this so far is turning into a positive experience for both of us.  

I am kind of anxious to just get on with it, and have to often remind myself to slow down and get through the downsizing process first.  I strive to take life each moment at a time now instead of being caught up in the drama of the past and the worry of the future.  We are only alive right now.  That's all we ever have.  This is the essence of our decision to make this life style change.  Yes other factors make it easier, but we decided that we simply want to live on our time, right now.

Have a Zen day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank A Soldier

Thank A Soldier
For Freedom Of Speech And Religion

Follow Me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    I Support Heathens Against Hate!

    I Support Heathens Against Hate!

    I Support Pagans Against Fascism

    I Support Pagans Against Fascism

    Join Me At Goodreads.com

    Jeremy's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

    The Wolf and The Raven

    The nights sat long and dark upon my soul,
    and I oft wondered why I stayed so cold,
    so lonely, though by my friends I was surrounded.
    I was emptiness embodied, with grief I was flooded.
    I heard a sound and turned to look- a man on a charger,
    With sword held ready- a knight in shining armor!
    I beckoned to him, and as he came forward to greet me,
    I was captivated by his eyes, wild weary, and free
    I did not notice at first his wounds and scars,
    Only a fae light dancing like fireflies beneath the stars.
    I saw his steed was tired, thirsty, and ungroomed,
    yet docile and magnificent this beast still loomed.
    The knight dismounted, it was then that I noticed
    that his armor was dented and dirty, ropes bound his wrists.
    But his eyes still shone with fire, his manner light,
    Whatever battle he'd been in, his spirit still burned bright.
    He told me his adventures as the days quickly passed,
    And every night I tended to his wounds, mending fast
    I groomed his horse, built his new armor,and sharpened his blade,
    Dreading the day he'd say farewell, and into the twilight fade.
    Then one day he appeared, leading a new horse, smaller than before,
    He handed the reins to me, and smiled like ne'er before.
    "Wolf-woman, I've many battles yet to fight," he said gravely,
    "But I need you by my side, my love, won't you come with me?"
    And so we travel, the wolf and the raven, side-by-side,
    Fighting our battles together, and into the moonlight fade.
    C2001 Ulfmar